Oral Surgery and Wisdom Teeth Removal
Oral surgery can be a time of anxiety, which is why Calgary Dental Clinics excel at providing compassionate care to each and every one of our patients.
One of the most commonly performed oral surgeries is the removal of the wisdom teeth.
What are Wisdom Teeth and Why Are They Removed?
Also known as the third molars, wisdom teeth are the last teeth to erupt from the gums.
They’re referred to as wisdom teeth because they typically don’t appear until a patient is between 17 and 25 years old.
If wisdom teeth aren’t removed, serious problems can occur as a result, including:
- Shifting or damage may occur to other teeth
- Wisdom teeth may not come in correctly
- It’s difficult to clean these teeth, which can lead to bacterial growth
- Leaving wisdom teeth in can even lead to the development of growths and cysts in the mouth and around the jaws
There are several different types of oral surgery, including:
- Extraction: During an extraction a local anesthetic is applied to the affected area, so that the area is completely numb, but you’re conscious throughout the procedure. The tooth is simply removed in a way that’s slow enough to ensure it’s not broken. Typically if you have wisdom teeth that have already erupted through the gums, this is the procedure used.
- Surgical extraction: During a surgical extraction you may have a sedative that will relax you without making you unconscious, or you can utilize sedation dentistry, which we have available. The tooth is then removed. This is often the method used on patients whose wisdom teeth haven’t erupted, or those individuals with particularly challenging cases.
A Focus on the Patient
What sets Calgary Dental Clinics apart from other practices is our complete focus on the patient’s needs and preferences.
When you’re undergoing any surgery, you need to feel confident and comfortable, and that’s what our entire team works to provide from start-to-finish. You can receive everything, from basic dental maintenance, to complete oral surgery and wisdom teeth removal, all in our convenient office, in an inviting environment.
Our team will walk you through each step of the oral surgery process, from providing an initial consultation, all the way to giving you the tools and resources for successful after-care.
Whether you need a simple dental procedure, or a complex oral surgery, our team is here to provide you with the comprehensive care you need.